Thursday, January 12, 2012

Permanent Renter?

My homeowner coworkers discussed their septic tank, snow clearing and other home-related issues.  I pronounced that I think I will be a permanent renter.

So why a permanent renter?  I don't know if I ever want to establish roots.  Or more so, I don't know how to.  The longest I lived in a home was 4 years (8th grade through first half of 12th grade) - been to 7 different elementary or middle schools before staying put in high school.  I am not angry or damaged by it (some may disagree with that), that is just the reality.  And things like that impact someone - one way or another.   

I am just me - Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they need to run free until they find someone just as wild to run with them.  As Cullen Bohannon said: always have one eye on the door.  For now.

I then continued to say that if I marry someone, we may eventually determine to establish our stronghold somewhere permanently, but maybe not.  They might be a nomad like me.  Or, I would just marry someone rich and famous (not necessarily famous, but rich), and we could buy a house... just because we could; and up and go as we wanted.  Wouldn't that be somethin'? (I am centered in reality - but a girl can dream). 

Not to mention, I am allergic to grass and pollen, so mowing lawns is a no go.  I don't need sprawling spaces every day - just maybe a plot of land or a balcony to read my book and listen to my Metsies on the radio.  Of course, I do need my fix of bonfires and fields and farms - in doses.  While I may be handy with a hammer, nails and a wrench - handling all that on my own is not my bag. 

In response: "well, when you are rich (or marry someone rich) you can pay someone to take care of the lawn and various chores."  Touche, my friend.  Touche.

Of course, since I dropped the M-bomb in a hypothetical ("if") scenario, the focus turned to the "when" instead of the "if." Yes, I did made a promise to myself that I wouldn't even think of marriage or kids or any other established commitment until 30.  I made that promise to myself - something I had to do for me based on the things that went down in my childhood and wayward thoughts I had on commitment in college.  And here comes 30. Just because the promise sunsets come November 7th, doesn't mean the hunt is on (well, unless you are Anson Mount, Bradley Cooper, or Kenny Chesney); it does mean that I am ushering into a new phase, and maybe the provision will ultimately be extended.  Husband hunting season doesn't necessarily open when the sun rises on 30.

For now, I am content in my one bedroom apartment solo.  I always have one eye on the door and a hold on my own heart.  Until someone gets me to let go of it (and proves they are worthy of it) or some place proves they deserve me to establish myself in one spot, I am a non-permanent resident of here, but a permanent resident of me.  Running wild on a one-woman journey until I maybe find someone to be free and wild with me.

1 comment:

  1. One of the biggest lies/scams is that whole nonsense about "building equity" on a house you own vs. "throwing your money away" on rent. In reality, you have about as much equity on a house as you do on your car (on paper is a different story - you can take out second mortgages to your hearts content, but good luck getting what you paid for it, in the end ... of course, a house doesn't just "die" the way a car does, so there's that).

    I would like a house for different reasons - I want more space, I want a backyard, and I don't want some a*hole neighbor moaning and complaining about my dog. More space + backyard also means 2nd dog. :) :) :) We also want a garage for a kayak, and a basement for a washer/dryer and an exercise room. Maybe split it off and make part of it a bar/party room. That kind of stuff. In other words, we want a house for certain lifestyle reasons that renting doesn't usually allow for.

    However, I could see us being nomadic, too. Ideally, I'd like to get a job where I could telecommute and travel a bit (not all the time, but a bit), and then perhaps Chris could jump to different visiting lines and/or writing projects every 3-5 years or so.

    OR. We buy a farmhouse on a sprawling piece of property at the base of a mountain in Northern California and open a B&B. Or a tasting room. Or both. Chris can handle the food and wine (and/or beer), and I can handle the business end. And we could both freelance on the side - he with writing and/or teaching, me with business consulting.

    Ahhh, pipe dreams. :)

    ReplyDelete