Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Evolution of the Good Fight


Generally we all know time will allow the truth to come out, and will also heal all wounds.  We find the truth in why or how things happens, and what the motivations are.  Sometimes it takes days or weeks; maybe sometimes months or years.  Or it takes a specific separate, but related event, to trigger the unveiling of the truth.  I have found that a lot of the roller coaster emotion that people face often relate to whether they or those around them are willing to fight the good fight.  Fight or flight?

I feel that over the past however long I went all the way - fought the good fight.  Nothing different that what I do in every area of my life - no half-assing, fighting the good fight, don't quit until all avenues have been attempted (I mean, I instigated a holy war with some members of my family because of something I believe in - can't wait for Christmas!).  There are clearly times when you give it all and it won't change; so you accept, adapt and overcome.  But, that should come at the end of the good fight - not before or during.  To the death (and you don't against a Sicilian when death is on the line). 

Obviously, not everyone has that approach, whether personally or professionally, and while that boggles my mind, it is something that I must accept. Judge me if you will, but I believe that not fighting the good fight is a symbol of cowardice - whether they are afraid of facing reality, facing the truth, or facing their fear. My preachiness and attempt to enlighten can only go so far when it comes to that.  But, I really don't think that's what it is - willing to "go the distance" should not be something that only a select few believe in, but a quality that makes a good leader, a good person, a good friend; taking the easy walk doesn't make you a better person.

I admit that maybe I wasn't always like this - I was afraid.  I had to learn that sometimes giving up on the good fight is worse and more painful than facing that fear.  I was probably used to people around me giving up, so I thought that was the way it went - a father who gave up and decided that I wasn't his kid (when I was 16 and stood up for myself, albeit I stood up for myself with a bit of spazziness as a 16 year old would); a stepfather who bailed on 5 of us.  It took me losing people, things, etc in order to figure out that everything important to you is worth fighting for.  I know I broke hearts and disappointed people, but I was lucky enough to learn that before I was ushered into real, post-college adulthood (because, really, "grown-up" doesn't start until you leave the awesomeness of a college environment).

When people give up on something they believe in, they care for, whatever, that ends with other people involved feeling used or abused.  Certainly unworthy.  Sometimes people just need to know they are worth fighting for.  So, we accept, adapt and overcome the fact that there are people like that.  No matter how painful it is, some people just don't believe in the good fight; they would rather take the easy road.  Their loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment