Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Is there really an ideal guy for me? Only if he wears a uniform.

While at the Nats game last weekend with some of the college posse, and following several beers, the question was raised about what is my "ideal guy?" (Really, the question was, "if we were husband hunting, what type of guy would you look for?")  I had no idea how to answer that.  Then I thought about my past, who I was happiest with and what others have said about me - I need someone in uniform.  Whether it is a member of the military or an athlete, those type of people make me happy (I was once happiest with someone who was both at one point).  And I am not saying the mission of athletes is anywhere near what our military does, but merely on the surface, there are similarities.

My girlfriend's response was: "You're the type of person who is OK letting the dude have the spotlight, I'm not."  I disagree - I think I am the type of person that is the accompanying spotlight... I can magnify the spotlight... be the burnt orange to their chicago maroon.  I love being the center of attention (generally), but I also enjoy being able to get someone I love into the spotlight, or to make their lives better.  I would love being that woman they come home to, who has kept their lives together, worked her tail off, and kept on trucking while they were out doing their jobs.  And, I don't think it has much to do with the spotlight, but more of a mentality.  Athletes and military men are similar - must abide by a schedule, a physical fitness requirement, dedication to the mission/winning, and personal and team responsibility in their work.  I am by no means a perfect physical specimen and I love my junk food, but I think my personality accompanies these type of requirements - I love to work out, I can't sit still, and I love cheering for my boys (whether they be my sports boys or our soldiers).  I can't deal with someone plopping on the couch (high or otherwise), unless it was to watch their work (ergo, sitting and watching games).  I can be someone's personal cheerleader, and still be strong and independent (and be me).

Maybe it is the Annie Savoy in me.

So, Justin Turner, Ike Davis, DW... gimme a call.




No comments:

Post a Comment