Saturday, March 8, 2014

Why do I have to explain why I'm single? #IWD2014

It is International Women's Day, and believe me we've come a long way, but there's more to do. This iteration is brought to you by this question: why do I have to explain why I'm single?

When people find out I'm single, it often goes to "did you just break up?" or "he's out there" or "you're such a catch." The last one is debatable, but whatever. When I say I'm single by choice I get stares; I get a more tame reaction when I say I don't want kids. The fact that me not wanting to procreate is more acceptable than my pride in being single is surprising.

I have to explain I'm not anti-relationship... but I kind of am. Being single doesn't always mean being lonely; I've been more lonely with a bf than when single. Point is, a relationship will only happen when there are fireworks - not sparklers, but Magic Kingdom Wishes fireworks. I don't have time to see if that sparkler will become a spectacle, but it needs to be there at the start. I've had crazy fireworks x1000 once and I won't settle for anything less at the get go.

Why is that so hard to understand?

I mean, I'm usually attracted to someone put together (job, etc) but unavailable. Generally, it's someone emotionally unavailable (like me), emotionally retarded (like me), or broken (like me), which leads to, well, nothing. That's the way the cookie crumbles. AND I'M OK WITH THAT. I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR ANYTHING ELSE.

As a woman who recently celebrated a Mike Piazza birthday, this is crazy talk to some. Not the fact that I'm single, but the fact that IDGAF and won't attempt it unless there's a ridiculous fireworks show. I mean, why not? I've got a good life, and there are parameters to disrupting that. Wishes fireworks.

If I were a dude, this would all be totally unquestionable. I mean, they are the ones with careers and a wild streak and all that. So why is it they are distinguished bachelors, but I'm a head case cat lady? What's the difference? A vagina, neediness and maternal instincts, apparently. NOPE.  I'm generally the crazy one with a wild streak... so why isn't acceptable for me?

Show me Wishes, and I'll consider changing it up. Until then, I'll make out a time or two with a sparkler and go on my merry way.

No comments:

Post a Comment